This is to keep you informed of volunteer opportunities associated with Belknap House – Belknap County’s homeless shelter for families and summer vacation hostel. Please share and forward this to your friends and associates that might have an interest in doing community service work for Belknap House. Here is the key information you need to know about Belknap House now:
1) Volunteer Recognition Event: If you have already volunteered at Belknap House, please plan to join us on Sunday, Sept 17th from 3-5pm for a volunteer recognition event. More details will be provided in early September. Please save this date. We appreciate the help you have provided.
2) We have many types of volunteer opportunities: Shelter Assistants, Hostel Assistants, Fund-raising assistants, Maintenance Assistants (painting, landscaping, carpentry, etc) , Board Members or Board committee assistant, and help as needed. Shelter Assistant and Hostel Assistants are the only opportunities that require an application, a background check and training. All current volunteer opportunities are summarized at the following link: http://signup.com/go/1h3a8s.
3) Shelter Volunteers: If you volunteered as a shelter assistant at the homeless shelter between Feb and May 2017, we hope you are planning to assist us again during the Oct 2017 - May 2018 season. We have a special sign-up for returning shelter assistants. If you completed our training, submitted an application, and volunteered in the shelter, please use the returning shelter assistant sign-up to indicate your interest to help us again. The link is: http://signup.com/go/vxoroRP
4) Volunteer Training: If you are interested in volunteering in the homeless shelter and haven't yet attended training or filled out our application, we would love to have you help us during Oct 2017- May 2018. Our shifts are flexible and you can sign-up for as few 24 hours over an 8 month period, or as many as you would like. If you are able to assist in just one of the 8 months, that is fine as well. The sign-up link for new shelter assistants is: http://signup.com/go/cvSwGQD
5) Hostel Volunteers: We still need volunteers to help operate our hostel. Our hostel business is going strong and we've already been filled to capacity a few nights. Volunteers assist guests with reservations, check-in and check-out guests, answer phones and questions, do some light housekeeping and monitor hostel safety and security. We especially need volunteers that can help anytime during 4-11pm. Any three hours during this period would be appreciated. Even if you are only available to help a few shifts per month, we can still use your help.
All volunteers that help with the hostel operations are required to attend a one hour training session, submit an application, and consent to a background check. Shelter volunteers that already have an application on file and have passed a background check, just need to attend the training session and indicate their interest by signing up for one or more shifts. The training session covers hostel policies, reservation and guest procedures, and some scenario training. The link to sign up as a vacation hostel assistant is: http://signup.com/go/dAvEfvG
6) Help with Maintenance: If you'd like to help keep the shelter in good shape, we have landscaping and minor repairs that can be done. We have 2 projects that are associated with the United Way Day of Caring on Sept 7th. We will have other projects opportunities during our shut-down period of Oct 9-15, 2017.
If you have any questions on volunteer opportunities, please email me.
Belknap House Director of Volunteers